Chennai trounces hapless Mumbai, Defeats Islanders 1-0.

Chennaiyin trounced Mumbai FC in their last league engagement with scoreline 1-0 at the end of the regulation period in Hero Indian Super League(ISL) at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium on Saturday. Slovenian man Rene Mihelic’s penalty kick proved to be the game decider.

The first half of game both team played cautiously in the middle. Slowly Mumbai City ascended in the game with greater possession and inch perfect passing. They got their chance in 13th minute when an distant shot from Zakeer Mundampara was possessed by Marina Machans custodian Pawan Kumar.


In the 17th minute, Rene Mihelic fired an shot from the edge of penalty box following Arindam Bhattacharya clearance as Mihelic’s shot went wide off the post.

Minutes before the half hour mark, Leo Costa’s shot went wide of the goal post. Moments later, Jaime Gavilan fiercely ran down the right flank and was fox in the box before Lucian Goian brought him down inside the box. Referee didn’t give the spot kick as it was a fair challenge.

Raju Gaikwad’s clearance went to Jude Nworuh who took a shot. Jude’s shot went passed between Arindam Bhattacharya’s legs but had an slight touch from his thighs and the ball hit the woodwork.

Either of teams were unable to break the deadlock as both the teams went with the scoreline 0-0 at the end of first half.

After the break at the hour mark, Jude’s cross from the left was connected by Jaime Gavilan as the latter pounded the shot from his left foot. Stopper Arindam Bhattacharya also blazingly denied the shot.

At 67th minute, Chennaiyin opened their windows as they scored the first goal of the evening. Mehrajuddin Wadoo recklessly tackled Jaime Gavilan and the Referee blew his whistle and awarded the home team with a spot kick. Rene Mihelic took the penalty and fired the ball into the bottom right corner as it went passed Arindam Bhattacharya as he also jumped in that direction but the velocity was the factor that he couldn’t stop the ball.

After the end of regulation time, one minute was added as an injury time and Chennaiyin came close to score the second goal of the evening when an free kick from Achille Emana was gathered by custodian Arindam before he baffled initially.


Balwant Singh’s scored in the dying seconds of the game but was disallowed as it was an offside.

Chennaiyin ended their league on a victorious note as they move up in the table. They went past Pune City FC with 32 points from 18 games. Mumbai City FC’s hopes were shattered when Delhi Dynamos routed them 5-1 at the capital’s stadium. Mumbai City ended their season with 23 points from 18 matches.